the buns


Nigella's cinnamon buns to be in fact. I actually made these once before about 5 years ago and making them now, I wonder why it took me soon long to make another batch? These are figgin good!  Believe it or not they are super easy to make!
I could see these as a cute little weekend treat or perhaps the starting of a christmas morning tradition? The house would surely smell amazing!

recipe
5 cups flour (add more if you still find dough too goey)
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp rapid-rise yeast or 3 1/4-ounce pkgs
1/2 cup butter
1 2/3 cups milk
2 eggs
filling
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp soft, unsalted butter
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg, beaten, to glaze

Preheat oven to 450 d F.
   Combine all the dry ingredients into a large bowl. Melt the butter and whisk it into the milk and eggs, then stir into the flour mixture. Mix to combine and knead the dough either by hand or using the dough hook of an electric mixer until smooth. Form into a ball, place in a oiled bowl,cover with plastic and let rise for 25 min.
   Take a third of the dough and roll it out to fit the bottom of the pan (13x10 roasting pan lined with parchment). Roll out the rest of the dough, aiming to roughly get a 20 by 10 inches. Mix the filling ingredients and spread the rectangle with the butter-cinnamon mixture. Roll it up from the longest side till you have a giant sausage. Cut the roll into 20 even slices. Brush with egg then let them sit for about 15 min to rise.
Bake in the hot oven for 20-25 minutes, or until lovely and golden brown.
   Makes 20.

recipe adapted from Nigella Lawson's Norwegian Cinnamon Buns via How to be a Domestic Goddess

Comments

My mother makes yeast roll cinnamon buns every Christmas morning -- love that tradition!! These look delicious.
apparentlyjessy said…
I am just thinking why have I never ever made cinnamon buns? These look so good, I bet they are lovely to eat on a nice cold morning with a big cup of tea...droooool.
Anonymous said…
Christmas morning tradition sounds good to me :)
Cherie said…
One of my favourite comfort foods ever! I just wish someone else made them for me for a change. Somehow I'm always the one that has to make things with yeast. Not that I mind. It's just that sometimes it would be nice to be on the receiving end. Like when you're sick for example.
zorra said…
Look awesome! I've never made cinnamon buns, but I could do some for WBD. ;-)
Ago said…
Oh wow! That's very good!!!
In italy, we call it "Torta di rose" and the recipe is so similar, but you can cook it how you prefer!
I love it...next time I try this recipe!!! Great Nigella and Grest You!!! ;-D
Kisses
Ago :-D
Ago said…
ehm...not grest, but great :-D
Sorry!!!
Kisses
Ago :-D
Ago said…
Hi Ash! Thank you so much for you comment :-D but you can read my blog! You can use the Google translator on the sidebar ;-)

I'm reading all your posts...truly wonderfull!!! :-999

I love your photos too and, about cinnamon...it's my favourite spice :-999
I've to try your buns!
Many many kisses
Ago :-D
Miette said…
Your recipe looks fantastic! Very tasty! I'm mouth watering !

Cheers,

Miette.
gine said…
oh i love them :)!!! have a fun weekend, XOXO
Rose said…
They look SO delicious, and sound quite easy to make. I wish I could have one right now! :)

Rose
Irene said…
Cinnamon buns are just my favorite treat - in fact, I never make them because I think I would eat them all! But your photos are too tempting, and I think I have to give these a try.
yum--those look so good! and such a big batch...if you have any to spare, i'lll take two, please! :)
Jennifer said…
I love Nigella, especially her buns! These look delish and perfect for fall.
Browsing your blog has made me very hungry!! I want to try some of this recipes!!

Popular Posts