grilled plum little cakes

summerplumlittlecakes

Grilled plums are glorious. Enough said. No, I think I'll say a little more. Grilled plums coated in vanilla sugar then popped into a pan to caramelize is one amazing thing if not only for the juices it makes, but putting them into little cakes like this and topping it with key lime vanilla syrup is over the bar. The syrup alone is something if not spectacular.
I saw the little bags of key limes at the grocery and knew I just had to do something with them, so I set my self up with the grueling task of juicing the little limes. Not fun. But believe me it well worth it. This I'm sure would be pretty sweet drizzled on pancakes too.

So enough about limes and plums. Is everyone enjoying the long weekend? It's going by far too fast for me, which is the usual case isn't it? At least later today I'll be heading to my Grams for Easter dinner and probably eating far too much.
What is everyone else up to?

grilledplums

key lime syrup
1 cup key lime juice
1/2 cup superfine sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract with beans
or half a vanilla pod, seeds removed
grilled plum little cakes
2 plums, halved and stones removed
1/4 cup sugar for plums
95 g butter, room tempt
1/2 cup superfine sugar
2 eggs
1 cup of ground almond
1/4 cup plain flour
2 tsp grated lime rind
1/4 tsp baking powder

For the key lime syrup, place the sugar and juice in a small sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes or until it thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon. Put to the side to cool.
Place the 1/4 cup of sugar on to a plate and place the plums cut-side down to coat in sugar. Heat a non-stick frying pan on medium heat and place the plums cut-side down to cook for 2-3 minutes until you get some good colour. Place on a plate to cool.
Heat up the oven to 320 F. Add the butter and 1/2 cup of sugar to an electric mixture with a paddle attachment and beat until combined. Add the eggs, ground almond, flour, lime rind and baking powder and mix until combined. Grease four 3 inch round tart tins or one 8 inch round spring form cake pan and spoon the mixture in. Lightly press the plums into the mixture and bake for 20-25 minutes. A bit longer if you're using the cake pan. Test with a skewer. Cool then drizzle with key lime syrup to serve.

Comments

Unknown said…
My mouth is watering. These looks so incredible. Beautiful photos!
I was wondering what you would eb doing with the plums when I saw the picture on the Flickr stream. Yummmy :)
Peaches and plums that way, it´s my favourite way to eat fruit!.
Happy Easter to you!
Marialuisa
Bianca said…
A lazy day followed by dinner at my grandmothers is what I call Easter Sunday!

My mouth is watering at the thought of these little cakes! Happy Easter:)
Looks as lovely as you make it sound! Lime and plums...will have to try that!
Jennifer said…
Happy Easter!!

Wow! These look incredible!
Roberta Galea said…
Gorgeous photography :) will definitely try this one

La Roquette
la-roquette.blogspot.com
A Bowl Of Mush said…
These little cakes look stunning!

Such a lovely way to work with plums :)
Emma said…
This looks wonderful. I've had that same moment of looking at the bags of key limes. It happens every time I visit the grocery store, but I haven't acted upon the urge to purchase them yet. Now... I think I will!

No long weekend here:(
Tash said…
These little cakes look so good! And topped with key lime, Yum!
Why do long weekends fly by so fast?! I hope you had a lovely Easter weekend!
Natasha xo
Anonymous said…
Looks as lovely as you make it sound! Lime and plums...will have to try that!
Reb said…
They really look tasty :) and gorgeous pics too!
Irene said…
These are gorgeous and your photography is gorgeous as well. Just totally made my day, thank you!!!
gaia said…
this is beautiful and looks so delicious. Wonderful post!
Pity said…
great photos and wonderful little cakes, loves it! cheers from london
That key lime syrup alone has me drooling. What fantastic little cakes. I'm sure they taste just as wonderful as they look.
Rivki Locker said…
Key limes always look so fascinating at the supermarket but I never quite know what I would do with them once I got home. Now I know. This looks incredible.
BuyAionAccount said…
That looks so sweet! It looked better and tempting when the sugar has caramelized. I would love to taste that. Kindly pass the plate please? :)

Buy Aion Account
You got me with these and I don't even like cooked plums. Gorgeous!
:)
Valerie
Ash, plums are one of my favorite fruit, I absolutely love them! I sometimes buy them with a recipe in mind but end up eating them all before even turning on the oven. :D
Those little cakes are adorable!
Gorgeous! What a great combination
John said…
Wait.... I don't see anywhere in this recipe where it calls for the grill to be used? Should I grill the plums before I use them in the recipe?

Popular Posts