lemon loaf

Hello everyone!  Yet another lovely lemon treat! For some reason I've been dying to make a lemon poppy seed loaf.  I think it could be my love for all things yellow? This cake did indeed live up to my hype.  I didn't have a pic of the loaf done up with the icing, but the lemony glaze was amazing and so was the cake!
Hope you all had a wonderful weekend!

lemon  poppyseed loaf

1/3 cups poppyseeds
3/4 cup milk
200g butter, softened
1 tbs grated lemon rind
3/4 sugar
3 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
lemon glaze
1 cup icing sugar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup lemon zest

Preheat oven 325 F.  Place poppyseeds and milk in a bowl and stir to combine.
Place butter and sugar and lemon zest in a bowl of an electric mixer and beat until light and creamy.  Add the eggs one at a time, beat well.  Sift flour and baking powder and pour over butter mixture.  Add lemon juice and milk mixture until combined.  Makes 3 small loafs or one 8in cake.  Bake for 40-55 min. Test with a skewer. 
For the  glaze, combine all ingredients and spoon over cooled loaf.

recipe adapted from Donna Hay's: Modern Classics 2  ( orange poppyseed cake)

Comments

Irene said…
Lemon and poppy seeds - so good! I love the photos in this post - the blue table is so weathered and beautiful and I absolutely adore your yellow pitchers. Yellow is also my favorite color and I have yellow mugs that I drink out of when I need some cheering up. :)
apparentlyjessy said…
I just made a lime and coconut loaf! We must have citrus and loafs on the brain! :) mmm citrus
Lucy said…
I love lemon and poppyseed - the best combination of flavours! I bet your cakes were very tasty :D
Chef Chuck said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elyse said…
First of all, I'm so glad you stumbled upon my blog because that means I got to discover your fantastic blog!

Secondly, wow! This lemon poppy loaf looks amazing. I've been looking for more recipes to use my loaf pans. I can't wait to try these!
Dewi said…
OMG, I love lemon. This is just remind me that I need to harvest some, and make some cake like your lemon poppy seeds cake. Delicious.
Cheers,
Elra
Anonymous said…
Hello! :)
Anonymous said…
Your lemon loaves look great....I love citrus. I'm in love with citrus flavored cakes of all kinds! Beautiful blog, too!
Miette said…
I discover your blog : the pictures are so somptuous... And the recipes look very good too ! I'm impressed by your talent !

Cheers,

Miette
Chef Chuck said…
I love the colors, smooth!!
Poppy seed I am in!!
Ash said…
Thanks everyone!!
Jacque said…
Maybe you're in the mood for lemon because of the bright sunshiny yellow color... and with spring right around the corner (hopefully).

Your poppy seed loaf sounds wonderful. Nice pictures!
Alexandria ♥ said…
good morning,
The photo of the lemons and the pitchers looks good enuff to eat alone to say nothing of the treat you made! wonderful!
Hx
Anonymous said…
Hi Ash! I would love this with my coffee right now :)
CookingCourtney said…
YUM, that looks delicious.
Anonymous said…
Oh I love lemon and I love yellow :-)! Great pics :-)!!
Anonymous said…
Hey,
I tried this receipt last weekend and something went wrong. Is the Baking powder really 1/12 a teaspoon?
Thanks, Maria
Anonymous said…
Hey,

I tried this receipt last weekend and something went wrong. Is the Baking powder really 1/12 a teaspoon?
Thanks,Maria
Ash said…
Hey Maria,

I believe it supposed to be 1 1/2 tsp. of baking soda.

Ash :)

Popular Posts